Spring is around the corner; all roads lead to Tembisa in Ekurhuleni for the Second Edition of the Spring Taboo Rock Dem Shorts and All White Family Picnic.
Tembisa will be a destination for people in search of fun this spring. Sho Madjozi will also perform at the Spring Taboo Rock Dem Shorts with artists like Shekhinah, Busiswa, Black Motion, Lerato Kganyago and DJ Shimza on the first day (Saturday). Sho Madjozi is famous for her hit singles “Dumi hi phone” and “Huku”; she has also laded landed a role in on the DSTV Mzansi Magic’ “Isithembiso”. Few weeks ago, she was announced as the new Brand Ambassador for Trace Mobile.
Here are few things you didn’t know about her:
• Her real name is Maya Wegerif;
• She was born from a Tsonga mom and a white father;
• She hails from Elim in Limpopo
• She went to the Massachusetts College in the USA, but still; she prides herself African and proud of her Xitsonga language;
• She has travelled a whole lot of countries within the African Continent and can speak Swahili fluently;
• She is a fashion icon and also an actress;
• She has written a biographical book “Just too intimate” that hasn’t dropped as yet.
• She has worked with Ghanaian artist – OneLove, South Africans – Okmalumkoolkat, Dj Maphorisa of the Uhuru fame, PH fat, Ps DJz and the Qgom Collective among others.
• She is currently working with a writing fellowship at the University of Johannesburg Institute of Advanced Studies and Creative Writing.
As a rapper, Maya Wegerif, known as Sho Madjozi, has captivated and inspired something rare in the South African Hip-Hop scene by rapping in Xitsonga and Swahili; proudly shining values and norms that build up to her being proudly Tsonga; proudly South African and proudly African.
Sho Madjozi is a young woman who takes pride in her culture and identity, she’s famous for her unique music, a Rapper in her own language Xitsonga.